*Some links on theshowercaddy.com are Amazon affiliate links, and if you use them to make a purchase, we may earn affiliate commissions (at no extra cost to you). Learn more.
Have you ever noticed how dirty your shower caddy can get? I did. Since I had problems getting it clean, I asked myself, how to clean shower caddy correctly?
Shower caddies get exposed to water and cleaning agents daily; they still collect a lot of dirt like soap scum and water spots. A cleaning shower caddy is quick and straightforward. All you need is a home-made cleaning solution and some elbow grease. Let’s see how you make it and what needs to be done.
In this post, we are going to have a detailed and in-depth discussion about everything on shower caddies, its important worth noting that the mode of cleaning is dependent on the caddy material. You are in for a ride we are going to answer every question you’ll know exactly what to do. Stay tuned!
Table of Contents
How to clean a metal shower caddy?
A metal shower caddy is a convenient tool that allows you to easily store all your bathing accessories at arm’s length eliminating the needs to bend over. Even though they are exposed to water daily, shower caddies require a thorough cleaning to maintain its tip-top condition.
Due to daily usage, small particles, fingerprints, and rust appear on your caddy, while it may be an inconvenience the sight of it is an eyesore.
Below, I will be discussing simple solutions of how to clean a metal shower caddy maintaining its original quality and spark.
Here are some of the essential things that you’ll need:
- Clean towel
- Scrub brush
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
Step by step guide:
- Remove all the soap and shampoo residue from the shower caddy
- Place you shower caddy in a clean and empty tab or sink, make sure its stoppered
- Pour 2-3 cups of vinegar and add ½ cup baking soda into the tub or sink
- Fill the tub or sink with enough water till the shower caddy is fully submerged. Leave it to soak in baking soda, water, and vinegar solution for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove the shower caddy from the solution and dip it on a sponge until the solution is fully saturated.
- Mix baking soda and water to produce a paste, apply the paste to remaining scum and hard water spots, add 1 cup of caddy all over the caddy. The paste will break down the hard spots and scum after fizzing stops wipe the soap caddy with a clean towel
- Use a clean towel or a piece of cloth and thoroughly wipe it to prevent further development of scum
How to clean a rusty shower caddy
For some of us with metal shower caddies, it’s always frustrating when we found out they have rusted, well they good news is that they are easily removable.
There are various ways on how to clean a rusty shower caddy; in this section, we are going to highlight some quick and easy steps briefly.
- Remove the caddy from the showerhead, wipe the rust portion of the stainless steel
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar in a tub or sink and insert the shower cuddy until all the rusted parts are fully covered. Using a nylon scrubber, scrub off the rust part, keep on adding baking soda and vinegar till all the rust stains are entirely removed.
- Place the shower caddies in warm water and thoroughly rinse it. Wipe the stainless steel using a clean towel.
- Apply a teaspoonful of car wax to a wet sponge and wipe the whole shower caddy. Leave the wax on the caddy to dry-off for approximately 15-20 minutes or until it becomes hazy.
- Take a lint-free cloth and wipe the metal caddy and remove all the wax on the stainless steel until it’s sparkling and shiny.
There are also simple and effective ways you can clean your metal shower caddy using home-made solutions. These processes are affordable that will keep your caddy looking brand new:
- Using baking soda- You can mix baking soda with water to form a paste, using a brush; apply the paste to all the surfaces of the stainless steel. Let the paste stay for 24 hours then wipe it using a clean cloth
- Salt and lemon juice- If your cuddy has some light rust, a practical solution is using a mixture of lemon juice and salt mixed in equal portions. It’s an effective solution of protecting you shower cuddy from rust and scratching.
How to clean a plastic shower caddy?
If you have a plastic shower caddy, the million-dollar question is how to clean a plastic shower caddy.
Well, when it comes to cleaning and maintenance of shower caddies, plastic shower caddies are among the simplest and easiest to clean.
All you need is a mild soap, scrub sponge, and water. Soap up caddy, scrub it well and rinse it with water thoroughly.
This should be done quite regular to avoid soap scum which can be very hard to clean over time.
On the market, shower caddies have different designs and features, with some of them coming with suction cups that are mounted on the walls.
It’s recommended your dry wipe and cleaned your walls before mounting them back, giving your bathroom an elegant appearance.
Tip: It always recommended to wipe off water on the shower caddy using a clean cloth.
How to clean a bamboo shower caddy?
A bamboo shower caddy is made from unique materials and features that require a special mode of cleaning. In this section, we are going to highlight ways on how to clean a bamboo shower caddy.
- Clean your bamboo shower caddy using soapy water, after washing; wipe it thoroughly with a clean cloth and leave it to dry. Use the recommended oils by the manufacturer, giving it a shiny and glossy look.
- You can also use oil soap or ph neutral floor cleaner, apply them carefully on the caddy’s surface then wipe it off using a wet cloth then allow it to dry.
There are also other home solutions which you can use to clean your bamboo shower caddy and are also inexpensive.
- Add vinegar, water and ¼ cup of vinegar, using a clean cloth dampen it on the solution and wipe your caddy. The scent of vinegar dissipates quickly, thus to give it a sweet and pleasant smell I recommend using lavender oil as it has a calming scent and it’s also an antiseptic.
- You can also use a mixture of dish cleaning soap with half a gallon of water, use a clean cloth or sponge and dip it in the solution and wipe your caddy. For those hard places to reach, you can always use a toothbrush.
- Using a clean cloth, you can add a few drops of flaxseed oil or linseed oil. Wipe your bamboo bath caddy giving it a glossy shine and also enhancing its durability.
- Using bleach, it will dry the bamboo wood or stain it
- Leaving the wet bamboo flat till it dries. If it dries only on one side, the caddy will warp.
- Don’t allow it to dunk or stand in water for a long time. It will soak in water, causing it to warp.
- Putting the bamboo caddy closer to a dishwasher, the water and warmth generated will cause the bamboo to warp, which is a violation of the manufacturer’s warranty.
How to clean a teak shower caddy?
Teak is a natural hard-wood that’s robust and durable hence does not require constant cleaning. However, if it’s untreated it loses its original color and quality. Here are a few pointers on how to clean a teak shower caddy.
When it comes to cleaning and maintenance of the teak caddy, you can use either commercial teak cleaner or homemade teak cleaner solution. The home-made mixture is usually easy to make, and the recipe includes:
- 1 cup of laundry detergent and ammonia (each) added to 1 gallon of warm water
- 1 cup of laundry detergent and chlorine bleach in 1 gallon of warm water
- A single cup of vinegar added to 1 gallon of warm water
The simple tips of cleaning your teak shower caddy are as follows:
- Using a nylon scrub brush, gently apply the mixture onto the whole of the wood caddy
- Let the solution soak on the wood for about 15-20 minutes
- Soak a clean cloth or scrub in water and rinse it thoroughly
Its always recommended when using homemade solutions is using the outdoors due to the tedious task of cleaning teak, the recipes used when spilled may damage your flooring.
- Whichever the mixture is used, don’t mix or combine them, a combination of ammonia and chlorine is very toxic.
- When cleaning the teak caddy indoors, always ensure to use protective gear that will prevent you from inhaling toxic fumes
When cleaning teak caddy, always start from the bottom as you move upwards, which prevents the staining of uncleaned surfaces.
How to clean a mesh shower caddy?
In the world of shower caddies, a mash shower caddy is the easiest to clean; they don’t need any special treatment or cleaning agent to wash it.
When it comes to how to clean a mesh shower caddy, the are two major ways of doing it.
The mesh shower caddy can be machine washed as they are rust-resistant and durable. Machine washing is suitable when you are at home, keeping it in optimum condition for years to come.
However, if you are in a college dorm or camp where you don’t have access to a washing machine, you can hand wash it.
It’s always crucial before always cleaning to read the manufacturer’s manual to get all the proper washing instructions. But in general, it should be fine if it’s washed in cold or warm water
What if I tell you there is a simpler way?
We always ask ourselves, is there a simple way for cleaning caddies? Well, for any shower caddy regardless of material can be machine-washed, especially by a dishwasher. Caddies are all made to be resistant to how water and cleaning solution, so they can easily be washed in the dishwasher.
However, it may not be recommended to wash any wooden shower caddies (like bamboo and teak) in a dishwasher. However, some plastic ones should never be dish-washed. You should always read on the maintenance label and check if it’s allowed.
In the above article, we have highlighted way various ways on how to clean shower caddy simply and efficiently. I hope this post is both educative and informative. Ciao!